The 2023 conference hotel is the Crowne Plaza Knoxville.
All participants are encouraged to stay at the conference hotel. The more ALA members use the conference hotel, the more power the ALA has to negotiate lower rates in the future.
- The special conference rate as now expired.
- Click here to book a room.
- Or call +1 (865) 522 2600.
A second hotel option is also available.
Or call +1 (865) 437 5500.
Guests should give the group code ENG240523 to receive the conference rate.
General Airport and Bus Information
Transportation from Airport
Please be aware that there is no public transportation from the airport to Knoxville, and there is no shuttle to the hotel.
Approximate costs for available transport are:
Taxi: $40 (listed here: https://flyknoxville.com/ground-transportation/)
Uber or Lyft: $23
* Members wishing to car-pool may join our ‘ALA Transportation’ WhatsApp chat by emailing <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Simply provide your phone number including country code. (Please note that the chat is to be used to arrange transport only. Members will be responsible for liaising among themselves.)
For international travellers:
Please be aware that transferring in America between an international and domestic flight (e.g. from JFK to TSA) requires some extra steps at the entry-point airport:
- If you checked a bag, you’ll have to collect it from baggage claim from the international flight.
- You’ll need to clear customs and immigration.
- Please note that these queues can be very long!
- Be sure to have at the ready print-outs of your conference acceptance, return travel and accommodation.
- Next, you’ll recheck your luggage for the domestic flight.
- Finally, you’ll need to go through Transportation Security Administration screening. This may include a physical inspection of your luggage and personal items with a metal detector or a full-body scan.
(For further details, see www.washingtonpost.com/travel/tips/connecting-flight-international-to-domestic)
Transportation to Conference Site
The conference meetings will take place at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, with some events (such as the banquet) to be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.
To travel from the Crowne Plaza to the University, three options are available:
1. ALA Shuttle Bus – from Crowne Plaza Hotel to Students Union, every 90 minutes, starting at 8:30am.
2. Public transit bus (14 mins) – info https://katbus.com/ #11 or #16 (requires 11-min walk to Cumberland Ave; $1/trip or $2/day, pay exact fee or receive credit note for balance)
3. Walk (22 mins)
4. Trolley (free) (~14 mins) – Orange Line info (https://katbus.com/schedules-maps/orange-line/), runs every 30 mins (requires 7-min walk to Clinch Ave)